Monday, August 24, 2009

Shabby Chic Decorating

Throughout the year I always pick up pieces I like at shops, flea markets, etc. I hold onto them until the mood to decorate strikes me. That usually happens a few times a year. (meanwhile my kids are saying, "here she goes again") while I'm running around with hammer, nails and stuff! Anyway, the past few weeks I've been at it again and thought I would share a few photos. My house is a small cape so there really aren't a whole lot of spaces to decorate but I try ...

This picture is one of my favorites that I've had forever. I found the wood valence at Brimfield, loved it, but had no idea where I would put it. I think this works.
I love original, chippy paint. To me it's the ultimate in shabby chic. This was a great find a while back. I added the mirror the other day behind the chandelier to dress it up a little and make it all pop.

My mantel has been boring for a long time. I added a few more pieces I picked up at our shop to add to it. I had hung the garland for a photo then decided to leave it there. I think it needs a little more ... I'm sure I'll find a few more things in my travels.

This is a little built in bookshelf area that I just needed a few more pieces for ... I added the garland and the two architectural pieces.
I got a flat screen t.v. for my birthday to replace the outdated monster that used to be there. Eventhough the black is still a big eyesore in the room, I was able to use a daintier piece of furniture to display it. I still need to find a way to hide the outlet and black cord. I added the oval mirror above to take your eye away from it a bit.
A little "vignette" in my room by the window.
This is a chippy paint frame in pink that I found in Brimfield. I love it! Ironically, it is the same pink as the chippy paint frame I had hanging in this spot already. It really finished the whole thing I had going on there.
This is the area next to my bed. Love the frame!
I have been pouring over books and blogs looking for (and drooling over ) wonderful shabby chic decorating ideas. One day I'll get there!
Thanks for visiting ...

21 comments:

Lisa McDonald said...

Jennifer

Your home is gorgeous, I love everything. Especially the mirror above your mantle!

Lisa
http://www.palepinkandroses.typepad.com

Grandma G said...

Jennifer,
I'm loving everything you have done! Your mantle is so pretty....I have wanted a mirror like that for so long and loved the wall next to your bed!

Thanks for sharing!

Georgia
http://www.grandmagscottage.net
http://grandmags.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Morning!!
I think your home is lovely!! Nothing like some well loved pieces to give that comfortable feel to your home!
You did a beautiful job putting everything together!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer!

You have the prettiest things! I love the mirror. Wow! Thanks for letting us take a peek. It's really wonderful.
Have a fun week.
xxoo
Janet
Janet's Creative Pillows

Lynette Larson - Campbell said...

Jennifer, it is absolutely lovely! I have had the same urges to decorate like you have...the picking up of items for "when". Well 40 years of it has caught up with me...oh oh. I am getting rid of things now. Come on over! ;)

A Southern Rose said...

I love the way that you decorate. It has such a relaxing, peaceful feel to it.

gail said...

Wow Jennifer your home is gorgeous! I love how you have decorated. I love cape style homes. So much character. Have a pretty week and happy creating.
(()) gail

Carolee Crafts said...

I love the look you have made and what treasures you found and kept for that special day when they could be put to good use.

Susie said...

Hi Jennifer! Your home is just beautiful! I love going to Brimfield for treasure hunting too.
Susie
The Polka Dot Rose

Brenda Pruitt said...

I just found your blog today, and I love it! I'm going to be visiting often. We have a lot of the same tastes, although I tend to go overboard on the color. I'll just be upfront about that. You might want sunglasses if you come visit me!
Brenda

Barbara Jean said...

Beautiful pictures.
So glad i found you.
blessings,
Barbara jean

debi said...

Oh, what a beautiful home you have! I love your soft, calming color palette. Beautiful!

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Oh, I love it all! If only there were white flat screens!

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Everything is SO beautiful!! I love your mantle mirror and the table with the blue top!!
Michelle

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

Oh I loooove all the white. Its just gorgeous. What a beautiful home. Do you want to do a home tour during the holidays? I'm going to plan one and would love to have you in it!

stefanie said...

what a gorgeous job you've done, i love all of it!!!!

Michele said...

Oh my Jennifer, you have such an eye for decorating. I love shabby, with a little vintage thrown in for extra measure! I so wish you could come and help me with my old farmhouse...there's hardly any room and I feel like we're always walking on everyone!

Hugs,
Michele

Cindy said...

It's all so pretty! I love the mirror over your mantel!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

ahhhhh.... ahhhhhhh....
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! When can I move in???
bunny hugs,
shell

Elyse said...

GASP!

everything looks really beautiful! perfect places for all of your finds. i am swooning!

i have a small cape, too!

xo

Sandi said...

I just found your blog and I love your decorating style!! So gorgeous! I will be back!
Blessings~